Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Reflections about Work Culture

Hi guys.  I know this is a long time in coming, and once again I have failed to write posts in a consistent manner, and once again, I will attribute this failure to "lack of time," at which you will roll your eyes at me, sigh, and continue reading (at least, I know some of you will).  I wanted to talk more about the work culture at PremaVidya, and just office culture in general.  The atmosphere and culture of any workspace I feel is an important part of any job.  It can help make a job the BEST JOB IN THE WORLD, or it can make a job REALLY REALLY STINK (*I'm trying to keep this all family friendly).  I had a long talk with Prof. Moledina earlier that last week about my future, and we agreed that the people and the work culture of an organization is deeply important for me.  I never really figured out how much having a supportive community and network meant to me until recently.  I grew up with a very close knit family, the community where I grew up was caring and close, and the community I found at Wooster played an extremely important role in my overall extremely positive experience in college. 

The short six weeks I spent with PremaVidya, and the absolutely amazing and wonderful people I met there pretty much sealed the deal for me.  I know that now, when I'm looking for a job, I will not only have to look for a job, but I will have to look for people and colleagues that I would like to work with as well.  In fact, for me, that may be even more important than finding the "right job".  I know that the project I was assigned at PremaVidya was the sort of thing I never thought I would end up doing, but I learned so much, and had so much fun, the work became enjoyable because I felt supported by the people around me.  This support system included my awesome GSE team (Navee, Parisa, Maddy), our GSE adviser Cathy and the rest of the GSE/Wooster staff (Prof. Moledina, Laura, Prof. McConnell), and everyone at PremaVidya.  I realized how lucky I was when the entire organization held a Pooja (it was interfaith, i was SO pumped!) to support and send good thoughts and messages to Mr. Naresh, the director, who was undergoing treatment for leukemia.  A few days later we found out that he was in remission, which totally confirmed my belief in the power of Positive Thinking.  We had other Poojas later in order to send more good thoughts his way.  When you think about it, how many times do you hear about a workplace that will literally take the morning off just to pray for the health of, and send good thoughts (not to mention blessed bananas) to one of their own?  It warms my heart.  In the future, not matter what I'm doing, whether it be something related to SE, or maybe its the waitress job I'll probably be getting until I find something in my field, as long as the people are great, I think I will be happy.


A rainbow of colorful sarees were worn!  Everyone looks so pretty!
Here we are with the men of the office!
Now, just to shed some light on why I loved working with PremaVidya: we legitimately have lots of fun!  Every afternoon pretty much, we turn on the Bollywood, and several of the office members sing along (which, I would too if I knew the words).  Also, when Darsana found out that Maddy and I had purchased sarees, we decided we would have a "Saree Day" at work, where all the women in the office would dress up.  Interestingly, our Saree Day also happened to fall on the Pooja for Mr. Naresh, which meant that we attracted a lot of attention when we first sat down in the prayer hall.  After the Pooja and after we had lunch we also spent about an hour on the roof taking "snaps" (in American English: pictures).  I felt like I was at Prom again, we took so many different shots.  As you can see from these select photos, we all look amazing.  I can honestly say that while I've been in India, I have not seen a saree that I have not liked.  Additionally, if you don't like any of these sarees you see here, never fear, there is a saree out their for you.  They come in all colors and patterns imaginable.  Shopping for sarees (and fabrics in general) is actually quite overwhelming because you have so many choices.

Quality Team Birthday Bash
Other fun things that happen in our office: birthdays.  Birthdays are super fun in India!  For one thing, if it's your birthday, you much bring in sweets for everyone in the office.  When we brought sweets in for our last day, we had about to buy about 75 sweets, because our office is so large.  We have two office locations, with lots of people working in both places.  So, basically, everyone gets lots of sweets on people's birthday.  On the 4th of July, we had two office birthdays (plus American Independence Day of course).  One of the birthdays was a Quality Team b-day, so naturally we had a department party!  In India, or at least in this case, the birthday boy/girl feeds each of the guests a piece of cake, and each guest feeds the birthday boy/girl a piece of cake.  Then the birthday boy/girl gets cake smeared on his/her face.  It's great, AND you're taking snaps of this the whole time!  OH, and just an FYI, all us interns are wearing our Western clothes at the bequest of our other office members.  They told us they were bored with our Indian clothes, and wanted to see us in our real clothes.  So, we wore our Western shirts and jeans, but let me tell you, it is so much hotter in those clothes than it is in Indian suits.  It is well worth your time to purchase and wear Indian clothes when spending an extended amount of time in country.  You'll just be so much more comfortable, trust me!

Well, that's my post on office/work culture.  I did some reflecting, and shared some fun stories.  I think that was pretty much how I wanted to structure my posts from now on.  I also believe I actually managed to connect this post to SE in a roundabout way.  If this tells me anything, it's that I don't want to be a solo entrepreneur, I want to be a part of a team, a community of people, I want to have some company on this journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment